Blow for bwin
Blow for bwin
The European Court of Justice (ECJ) has once again backed the gambling monopoly. In its fight against state protection against competition, the Austrian Internet sports betting provider bwin suffered a setback, but intends to continue fighting for a regulated opening of the market.
In its ruling, the ECJ confirmed the monopoly of the provider Santa Casa in Portugal. Thanks to the dominance, fraud and other crimes could be fought, it said in the reasoning. While the Court considered that the freedom to provide services was restricted by the protection, this could be justified for overriding reasons of general interest, it said. The final decision will be made by the courts in Portugal.
The bwin Interactive Entertainment does not consider the ruling as a precedent."Santa Casa is a century-old institution," said bwin lawyer Thomas Talos. "It is not-for-profit and under strong state control. There are specifics there that are not transferable".
Accordingly, bwin will maintain its Internet offering despite the ruling. No enforceable Internet ban exists, Talos stressed. Portugal has failed to do so, he added.
On the Vienna Stock Exchange, the shares of bwin lost heavily. Experts evaluated the Luxembourg decision as a strengthening for the front of the monopoly defenders in IPL betting apps.
Fight for regulated market continues
Bwin, the continental European market leader in sports betting, has been fighting against the lucrative gambling monopolies in many countries for years. In Germany, numerous proceedings are pending before the ECJ, including an appeal against the state gambling treaty. With the contract, the federal states want to secure billions of euros in revenue for their budgets. bwin argues that many providers in Germany - unlike Portugal - are profit-oriented, just like commercial providers. Thus, private providers would also have to be granted access to the market.
Bwin wants a regulated opening of the market, because otherwise there would be a migration of players to unregulated Internet providers. "An enormous black market is being created. The customer plays with unregulated providers and billions go out of the country without the state having any control," Talos said.
2 Shanghai brewer’s biscuits
500ml water, boiled then allowed to cool
- Wash and soak the rice over night.
- Next day, steam the rice over a large muslin cloth till cooked and soft.
- Carefully add the 500ml water into the rice, place the whole in a very clean urn and leave to cool further.
- Crush the brewer’s yeast biscuits over the rice and press down on the rice.
- Create a little ‘well’ in the middle of the rice, cover the urn with clingfilm and put the urn’s lid on tightly.
- Allow it to work its magic in 2-3 days in a warm place like an airing cupboard. The fermentation process needs to be allowed to occur uninterrupted, so resist any temptation to open the urn to check on progress. A yoghurt maker or an instant pot with yoghurt making function would be perfect for this mixture at a constant 30°C .
- When the precious wine liquid can be seen gathering in the ‘well’ is when your rice wine is ready.
- Finally, keep the resulting home-made wine in the fridge, for drinking later or for use in cooking.
“Shanghai Brewer’s Biscuits”
CHICKEN, TOFU AND EGGPLANT HOTPOT
450g chicken breast or thigh (skin on)
1 tsp fish sauce
1 box soft tofu
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 salted duck eggs, boiled
2 tsp cooking oil
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
300ml chicken stock
1 tsp corn starch dissolved in 3 tsp water
1 spring onion, sliced
- Dice the chicken and marinate in a splash of soy sauce, Chinese rice wine, cornstarch and white pepper.
- Remove the duck egg yolk and roughly chop the egg white.
- Dice the aubergines into cubes.
- In a hot wok or frying pan, add 1 tsp cooking oil till smoking hot and fry the aubergine.
- Add the garlic and fry.
- Add a teaspoon or two of water to help cook the aubergine.
- When the aubergine is soft and cooked, remove from wok and set aside.
- In the same wok, add the remaining oil and fry the chicken pieces till light golden brown.
- Add the egg white and yolk and the fish sauce and fry with the chicken till fragrant.
- In a clay pot, add the tofu, aubergine, chicken cubes, chicken stock and all the rest of seasonings.
- Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch water to thicken the sauce.
- Serve hot, topped with some sliced spring onions and a drizzle of glutinous rice wine.
DAIKON AND GREEN TEA BROTH
3g Miya Senchagreen tea leaves
200ml water (for brewing the tea)
salt to taste
- Add the mooli into a pot and add just barely enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and cook till soft.
- Season with salt.
- Separately, brew the green tea.
- Pour the tea on to the mooli to make this interesting and nutritious soup.
FRAGRANT TEA STEAM FOR LUNGS
- Choose a fragrant tea, if you can, like Lishan Oolong , or an mellow aromatic one like Emperor Pu Erh 1998 Vintage .
- Add freshly boiled water to 2 or 3 grams of tea leaves in a small cereal bowl.
- Position your face over the bowl and let yourself breathe in the steam.
- Use your hands on the edge of the bowl to keep too much steam from escaping.
- Enjoy this experience for 10 minutes, then you can sit up and drink the tea!
- Don’t forget, with a good quality tea, you can keep adding more hot water and brew the tea again and again.
- Fill a muslin bag, no bigger then the palm of your hand, with some unrefined rock salt.
- Warm the bag in a microwave.
- Lie down on your front comfortably and place the warm muslin bag on your ‘ Da Zui’ (大椎) acupuncture point. This acupuncture point is the slightly protuberant vertebra just below the back of the neck.
- Do this as often as you can, ideally every day.
- You can also aim the hot water flow at the same acupuncture point when you’re in the shower.
FOOT SOAK BEFORE BEDTIME
- Soak your feet in a barely warm water.
- Then do is very gradually add hotter water.
- When the first drop of perspiration appears on the tip of your nose, drain away the hot water and massage your feet dry.
- Then lie in bed with the soles of your feet facing each other.
- Do this in as relaxed a way as you can, staying in that position for about 10 minutes.
- This will allow your Qi energy to flow more freely via the acupuncture point that affects the kidneys.
- After that, let yourself enjoy a night of blissful rest.
RELIEF FOR DRY COUGH
- The ‘ Tai Yuan’ acupuncture point is located on the underside of the wrist, below the thumb.
- Gently massage it 10 times in a clockwise direction.
- Then massage it 10 times anti-clockwise.
- Do this three times.
- Repeat daily or whenever you can.